Vacuum Bonding & Assembly / Laminating
In close strategic and technical co-operation with the Japanese Taica-Group Distec GmbH developed their own optical bonding production process: VacuBond®.
Vacuum bonding (also direct dry optical bonding) allows for a zero optical defect production and provides perfect material stability (no yellowing). Also modern sleek TFT displays, which do not feature a sturdy bezel, can be bonded with this fully automated production process without any problems.
Please click here for a VacuBond® video of our US sister company Apollo Displays Technology.
In contrast to the competitor-used polyacrylate / acrylic material with an operating temperature range of only -30 to +80°C and medium-term yellowing, we solely process the Taica high-performance OPTα-GEL® silicone, which was developed especially for optical bonding. It features an operating temperature range of -40 to + 120°C and shows no yellowing. Please click here for further advantages of VacuBond® and an extensive overview of successfully passed certifications.
- bonding of
- all TFT displays, e-papers and OLEDs in sizes up to 32"
- cover glasses on TFT displays with integrated PCAP touch
- touch screens of all technologies and/or protective glass
- PMMA/acrylic glass
- modern TFT displays without solid frame / housing
- of the pure TFT cell without bezel
- the rear of the TFT cell to eliminate free air spaces
- ("free air exclusion bonding" respectively „Void exclusion“ bonding for ATEX – IECEx - certification)
- direct bonding into your housing / bezel
VacuAssembly / Laminating enables:
laminating all kind of glasses (also PMMA and Acryl) and touchscreens of all technologies up to 32". In contrast to autoclave laminating (often > 100°C) the VacuAssembly process takes place at room temperature and avoids laminating beyond the specified temperature range of the components.
- Touchscreen - glass
- glass - glass
- Touchscreen - PMMA / Acryl
- multi layer construction (eg. EMI pane - touchscreen - glass)
Perfect bonding of E-Paper with VacuBond®
The strength of VacuBond® dry optical bonding becomes evident in the bonding of electronic paper, which, in contrast to TFT displays, has no mechanically stable structure and no bezel. The high-tech silicone OPTαGEL® securely connects the e-paper with a protective glass or foils to a unit. The smooth surface of the e-paper is susceptible to scattered light and reflections, which is further enhanced by the air gap between the e-paper and a tape-bonded protective glass. The OPTαGEL® fills this air gap, reduces reflections, prevents the ingress of moisture and dirt and ensures a high-contrast display of the e-paper contents. In addition to a protective glass, we also bond foils that evenly distribute the light of the front lighting. Of course, the e-paper bonding process is reversible, too.
Co-operation with OEMs
As a medium-sized company, we specialize in order quantities of approx. 25,000 pieces / year, but also co-operate with OEMs:
- We install a complete bonding system on site (identical to ours)
- We supply the latest machine control
- We train the partners in constructing the production tools
- We train the production team on the basis of current bondings
Advantages of optical bonding:
- Improved readability without increased power consumption:
By eliminating the air gaps between the TFT display and the cover glass/touch, the light refraction is reduced and the contrast increased significantly
- No condensation or fogging:
Optical bonding avoids the air gap between the panes of glass - moisture cannot penetrate
- No contamination:
Optical bonding avoids the air gap between the panes of glass - dust and dirt cannot penetrate
- The danger of splintering glass is considerably reduced by the full-surface fixing / bonding with the high-adhesive OPTα-GEL®, so that the risk of injury decreases.
- High Vibration and shock resistance:
Optical bonding increases the strength and resiliance of the TFT Display; the high tech OPTα-GEL® counteracts vibration resonances and dissipates shock energy to the sides
- The shock resistance was proven by drop-ball tests. The video shows drop ball tests with a smart phone: The first one with an OPTα-GEL® protective film, the second one without protective film.
- Improved heat Dissipation (up to factor 8):
By eliminating the isolating air gap between the panes of glass, heat can dissipate trough the front glass. This reduces the risk of heat build-up.
- Reversible process:
we can re-bond e.g. for repair,which means no loss of expensive material
Together with our customers a wide variety of certifications in agricultural machinery, automation, automotive, avionics, MIL, ourdoor and railway were carried out successfully.
VacuBond® video from our american sister company Apollo
Bonding service and quick sample delivery
We are offering VacuBond® as a production service for any available display, no matter if it is part of our standard product range or not.
We provide samples in any size up to 32" within a few days. In order to be even faster and more precise, we create the tools for sample productions on our own 3D printer.
The Fortec AG has three identical VacuBond® production facilities: at Distec GmbH Germering, at Apollo Display Technologies in Ronkonkoma, NY / USA and at Alltronic GmbH in Pilsen in the Czech Republic. Thus we ensure a reliable supply of the rising demand and maximize our comprehensive risk management for you. At these 3 locations we work with identical machines, identical tools and of course with the identical Taica OPTα-GEL®.